Fotolia: You Fail!---keyboard © gow27 #38082186

Botched Microsoft Windows 7 Security Update Kills Computers

Microsoft tells users to uninstall Patch Tuesday “fix”

On by Thomas Brewster 17

Microsoft has called on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 users to uninstall a security patch, after it emerged certain PCs were failing to restart following updates.

Some found their applications were not loading or working properly following an update for the Windows file system kernel-mode driver, which was included in this week’s Patch Tuesday.

Windows XP logoWindows 7 patch blunder

One effect could be that Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows 7 would display a message claiming its license was invalid, Microsoft said. That would kill protection offered by Kaspersky, making the situation more serious than just a comical screw-up.

And Microsoft will now have to work on a fresh patch for the relevant flaw, which could still be exploited by hackers.

Microsoft said the problem lay in how the update interacted with third-party gear.

“We’ve determined that the update, when paired with certain third-party software, can cause system errors. As a precaution, we stopped pushing 2823324 as an update when we began investigating the error reports and have since removed it from the download centre,” the Microsoft Security Response Center wrote in a blog post.

“Contrary to some reports, the system errors do not result in any data loss nor affect all Windows customers.”

Other fixes from this week’s Patch Tuesday, including a critical one affecting all supported versions of Internet Explorer, are still available and users have been advised to download them.

What do you know about Internet security? Find out with our quiz!

Thomas Brewster

Author: Thomas Brewster

Security Correspondent, TechWeekEurope
Thomas Brewster Thomas Brewster Thomas Brewster
Techweekeurope for mobile devices
Android-App Google Currents App for iOS

Last comment

17 replies to Botched Microsoft Windows 7 Security Update Kills Computers

• On April 12, 2013 at 4:34 pm by Rich Anders

I just uninstalled the patch and I immediately received a notice in the tray to install the same patch from Microsoft.

• On April 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm by Norman

Thanks for posting this info. So it was MSFT that killed my Kaspersky without notice. I had to reinstall the software.

Wonder if it is worth staying with Windows with so many problems.

My HP printer is having a lot of problems since the Kaspersky down days about a week ago and my music files have become corrupted as well.

Hopefully MSFT users find a way to connect and start a class action suit against it for negligence and/or willful damage to others. There should be consequences for such actions of those who get paid by their service users.

• On April 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm by Steve

Should’ve upgraded to windows 8, I’ve had no problems whatsoever hahahahaha

• On April 12, 2013 at 9:35 pm by Vasya

Better yet – straigt to Mac OS X

• On April 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm by Observer

/* Should’ve upgraded to windows 8, I’ve had no problems whatsoever hahahahaha */

Yep, until it is win8 turn to be updated…switch to Linux…

• On April 12, 2013 at 11:15 pm by Buddy

I was wondering what was going on. Problems with Kaspersky just occurred recently and I was stumped. Ironic finding this article.

• On April 13, 2013 at 12:57 am by Get All The Facts

You might want to get all the facts when making a sensationalist blog post Tom Brewster.

The bugged patch is Win 7 32bit only. 64 bit version of Win7 isn’t affected.

• On April 13, 2013 at 1:16 am by Richard Lindow

Install Google Chrome, minimize MS OS!

• On April 13, 2013 at 4:08 am by kapnray

Windows 8 — UI is well design.

• On April 13, 2013 at 4:41 am by Tiz

Microsoft, a bunch of useless incompetent people

• On April 13, 2013 at 9:23 am by Jesaiah-Brooks Stalnaker

I was experiencing untimely crashes with Windows 7, until I installed Google Chrome. I like the new experience!

• On April 13, 2013 at 9:58 am by Steevo

Sorry, just remind me again… Why is Linux becoming more and more popular???

• On April 14, 2013 at 2:49 pm by fish1552

Why do idiots turn every tech discussion into an OS war? Use what you want and let others do the same. You sound no different than a bunch of freakin’ tree-hugging hippies.

• On April 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm by binaryhealer

win 7 64 also affected, we had all 30 win 64 bit affected by fix in our org

• On May 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm by drastwing

On April 23, Microsoft replaced the problematic update with KB2840149 which no longer causes the issue.

• On May 23, 2013 at 10:27 am by michael suttle

very difficult to uninstall the update when the computer wont boot !!!!!!.
    cost me money to get it fixed.

• On June 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm by Mohan N

Do they know what they are asking? do they realise the time it would take to undo this? I’ve only 3 windows PC 2 on 7 and the time I’d need to spend sorting this mess out would be HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!